A few weeks ago we had registered dietitian Evangeline Mouratidis join us for our June Workshop. She discussed sustainability and adherence in the diet. She talked about calorie maintenance vs deficit vs surplus and gave us an overview of protein.
During the workshop, Evangeline gave a really powerful statement that resonated with many of us.
She introduced the idea of low hanging fruit.
The term “low hanging fruit” is a commonly used metaphor for doing the simplest and easiest work first. The obvious low barrier things that can be dealt with in achieving success or making progress towards our goals.
We often focus on the nitty gritty things far too much, the minute details that can bog us down and often leave us feeling frustrated and worse off than when we started. We can often lose sight of the low hanging fruit that can pack a big punch in the bigger picture.
In pursuit of your goals, what are the low hanging fruits that could really push you forward?
The things that are right there for the picking.
Some examples of low hanging fruits:
1. Drink more water
2. Vegetables at every main meal
3. Setting an appropriate bedtime to ensure you get the 8 hours that makes you feel great
4. Set a time limit on your internet use on your phone
5. Increase your daily activity by walking up the stairs
6. Complete your 5 minutes of daily mobility
7. Eat more fruit
8. Drink one less cup of coffee each day (gasp!)
Low hanging fruits can have significant impact if we stick with them.
What fruits can you pick for the coming week?